Monday, September 20, 2010

Oh yes, I'm the great weekender


Evans Bay


A birthday card


New addiction - if you know any single male English banjo players, send them my way...


A magnificent magnolia


Bit of henna from a lovely lady at Marrakech Cafe where I went for a friend's birthday lunch


Housewarming irises

This weekend Wellington managed to escape the storm of the century, except for some heavy rain on Friday and Saturday nights. I saw a movie I would definitely recommend, it's hard to explain/describe but it was interesting and funny and raised questions about art, audacity, and plain craziness. Exit Through the Gift Shop. I missed it in the NZ International Film Festival so I was really glad it came back. I looooove documentaries. In another life I would like to be a documentary film maker; maybe I will even get time to be one in this life...so many things to do, so much time spent having to earn money to pay the rent.

We had classic movie Sunday yesterday (coupled with a Sunday roast, yum!) and Alex chose Bonnie and Clyde, a 1967 film starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.


It's not a film I would have ever thought to get, especially because I'm not one for lots of shooting and chase sequences, but I really enjoyed it. The film had a weird quality to it; I don't know anything about film, but it seemed like the quality of film bad 80s made-for-TV movies were shot on. I guess it was 1967. Faye Dunaway was a babe, I really loved her costumes. I have no idea why the woman who played Blanche won an Oscar though. Apparently if you scream a lot you are a good actor.


The editing was very choppy which we were kind of like 'Whaaat?' about when we were watching it, but it turns out it was heavily influenced by French New Wave directors...whatever that means! I didn't really know much about the real Bonnie and Clyde and of course the film used artistic license, but they were so young (early 2os) and they really didn't rob as many banks as the police made out, they robbed more small grocery stores if anything, and it was the Great Depression so everyone was having a pretty tough time.

Bonnie and Clyde = definitely an excellent addition to the classic movie Sunday roll of honour!

No comments:

Post a Comment