Wednesday, September 22, 2010

WOW


Sometimes, I am a very lucky girl.

This morning I was having a bit of a boring morning at work when I got an email from Ed saying 'How about you don't go to pilates tonight and come to the World of Wearable Arts dress rehearsal with me instead? I have two comps.'

As if I had to think about that for even a second! I really wanted to go to WOW this year because I have never been before and earlier in the year it seemed I was going to get to, a ticket had been purchased especially for me by someone's very nice mother. However, due to unforeseen circumstances (read: break-up), that was clearly out of the question come June. Awkward family time anyone? Although I did think today, how uncomfortable and awful (for them) would it be if I rang and said, 'So, where and when shall I meet you guys for WOW? I don't want to miss out!'

Anyway, having heard WOW tickets were very expensive and not knowing about the charity dress rehearsal (although I'm not sure how much cheaper the dress rehearsal tickets actually are), I thought I'd seen my WOW 2010 chances pass me by. Until today! And I didn't even have to pay a cent. Did I mention I was lucky?


It was AMAZING. It was exactly what I imagined and so much better! Such a spectacle of the best kind. It ended with giant inflatable fruit bouncing through the audience and being batted about like balloons. Frightening but hilarious - try having an unexpected banana bounce on your head and you'll see what I mean.


I loved everything - people are so clever and some of the works are so detailed, but I especially loved the Children's Section which was fairytale themed (such cute little kids strutting their stuff, one was a little dragon with a fat tummy, he was ADORABLE; another was a walking book that opened to reveal a Bad Jelly type witch) and the Illumination Illusion Section (works that use the 'illusion of UV light' - among my favourites were a beautiful kite flyer; a whirlpool of leaves; and a wintry frosty snow thing).

The Avant Garde Section was circus inspired and there were little dogs dressed in stylised but relatively realistic elephant costumes so that it looked like tiny elephants parading around the stage. The sets were so impressive and even the costumes of the performers not modelling the works were elaborate and impressive. The whole thing was just so so good.

Of course you can't take photos during the show so the ones I have are only from the foyer. If photos had been allowed we would have been in a perfect spot: our seats were five rows from the front. So close we could feel the breeze created by some of the performers' giant glowing white wings as they swooped and floated around the stage during one part of the Illumination Illusion Section.


The 2009 Supreme Award winner: 'Lady of the Wood', David Walker, United States

This has been such a good day. I can't wait to find out which works win their categories and which one wins the 2010 Supreme Award; this was the dress rehearsal so the show hasn't even opened yet. If I wasn't planning on being at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival when WOW is on next year, I would most definitely be booking a ticket for 2011 as soon as they go on sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment