Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cute as a button

So I decided to make a little pinafore as my next project at my sewing night class. I couldn't find a free pattern that I liked on the internet on Monday so I rushed into Arthur Toye ten minutes before they closed and furiously flicked through pattern books and bought this Butterick one. I thought I'd make 'C' (the pink dress) because it seemed pretty simple, although not such a fan of the ruffle but I'm guessing you wouldn't have to put it on.

Then today I emailed one of my sewing gurus asking if she thought I could make it reversible and mentioned that it wasn't quite what I had in mind but was still cute and she sent me the pattern for this pinafore which was exactly what I was looking for. Turns out I couldn't find it on the Burda Style website because it's called a 'toddler jumper'. A jumper is a jersey in my books. Americans.

Anyway, so at lunchtime I went out and bought fabric and the CUTEST buttons for a baby pinafore EVER. They are WOODEN. WOODEN BUTTONS. I don't think I can convey how much these buttons please me.


The navy blue fabric is for the outer and the cream with squiggles is for the inner. The pattern on the outer fabric makes me think Scandinavian. Why? I have no idea. As for the inner fabric, when I was buying it the shop assistant said, 'Oh this makes me think of little gingerbread men' and then as soon as she said that I saw ghosts and rabbits. I kind of wish they were still just squiggles.

Anyway, because the pattern was printed out on computer paper it needed sticking together before the pieces could be cut out. So I spent the whole of tonight's class doing that and then pinning the pieces to and cutting out the fabric. But when I start sewing it is going to be so quick and I'm going to get to learn how to do button holes!




(It's totally like being back at school, look at the tables and the stools!)




As you can see, when it came to pinning the pattern pieces to the fabric I realised I had bought twice as much fabric as I needed because while I got the right length, it was obviously way wider than was called for. So the next person to have a baby girl might be getting a matching pinafore to this one...

I can't wait to sew this, just the size of the pattern pieces and the cut-out fabric pieces had me exclaiming, 'Look how CUTE this is! It's so TINY!' every few minutes. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just love small versions of things. Although today I had coffee with a very short woman from work and I felt bad for being so much taller than her and I'm not even tall. It was weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment