Thursday, February 2, 2012

KDL

Last night I went to one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Kitty, Daisy, and Lewis are English siblings (the oldest is only 22) who each play a whole lot of different instruments (drums, guitar, ukelele, harmonica, xylophone, banjo) and whose style is apparently a mix of swing, jump blues, and ska. Their Mum and Dad are in their support band playing guitar and double bass, it's like a family band but without the Von Trapp wholesomeness.

The gig was at Bodega (which has spruced itself up a bit since I was last there a couple of years ago) and it was PACKED. I still managed to have a pretty good dance whilst wedged between people in sauna-like conditions. After the gig, the DJ played amazing old music and a small group of people stayed on and danced until closing time. I got to dance with an 80 year old Jamaican trumpet player who is touring with Kitty, Daisy, and Lewis.

It was generally awesome, I just wish they'd played 'Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A'. Then it would have been perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment