Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shake-em-on-Downers


Last night as I was walking home from work I came across a six piece jazz band* playing on Cuba Street. I wasn't in any hurry so I sat down and listened to them for about forty minutes. It was a little bit chilly but it was so worth it. I even got my knitting out for a wee while. They played some old favourites ('Puttin' on the Ritz', 'It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)', 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow') and some I didn't recognise.

Then they announced that their last piece for the night would be a Charleston and encouraged the people standing around listening to dance.


And they did!


*They had some cute wee business cards in their suitcase, they're called The Wellington City Shake-em-on-Downers and they're available for weddings, parties etc via shakeemondown[at]gmail[dot]com.

No comments:

Post a Comment