Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Boom!

On Saturday night I managed to make it to a band I have wanted to see since I heard about them last year. They were awesome! As the poster says, they play 50s rock 'n' roll, R 'n' B, and rockabilly, and they play it extremely well. The different vocalists were great, but I especially loved the charisma of Matthew Pender, the husband of Monday night knitting Penny. He was clearly having the best time. Everyone was having such a good dance and I wish I had been able to make it from start to finish, unfortunately I couldn't get there until about 11.30pm. Still, it was worth it.


And now, I think it's time for a classic movie Sunday recap.


A couple of weekends ago it was Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. This was my choice and I chose it because I recognised the title and was sure I'd heard about it before (I think because it has Sydney Poitier in it). It seemed like it could be interesting and it kind of was, but overall it wasn't a great choice. It was a pretty good reality check in terms of how much of an issue inter-racial marriage was in America only 50 years ago. And I hadn't seen a Katherine Hepburn or Spencer Tracy film before, although I still want to see one of their earlier ones. What was more interesting though was reading about the making of the film. It was Hepburn and Tracy's last together and Tracy was so ill he had to film all his scenes in the morning and died only 17 days after shooting wrapped. Hepburn never saw the finished film because she said it would upset her too much. And Hepburn's neice played her daughter.


Two weekends ago Ed and I watched Amelie, as part of our countdown to our Parisian holiday in August. I've definitely seen Amelie at least once before, I think even twice, but it was such a long time ago I couldn't remember how it ended. So this time around it was like I'd never seen it before. It's such a beautiful, funny, quirky movie and Audrey Tautou is such a babe. Ed and I are going to be staying in Montmarte so I can't wait to see it all in real life. I think we will have to have some photos in a photo booth, as a cliched but necessary tribute to Amelie.

Spmething not so classic - on Saturday I went to see The Green Lantern. I would never ever normally see something like that but I wanted to catch up with my friend Janet and she had $3 tickets that had to be used on Saturday. We laughed a lot - it was so cheesy. And no doubt there will be a sequel, as the little scene at the end of the credits implied...

No comments:

Post a Comment