Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baby steps



On Thursday night I babysat the cutest baby in Hataitai. He loves looking out the window and pointing at everything and saying something that sounds vaguely like 'this'. Very cute. He got a bit over tired though so when it came time to put him to bed he cried and cried and cried and got himself all worked up, so I got him up again and the only thing that would stop him crying was sitting on my lap watching an episode of The Mighty Boosh...I like to think of it as expanding his horizons.


Someone else expanding their horizons is Katherine at work. We have been talking about sewing and things for a while and then earlier in the week I started trying to recruit her to knitting and Monday night Knitting Circle. Once she saw my scarf she was very enthused and rushed off and bought some yarn and needles and a little leaflet book that taught the basics. On Thursday night she apparently spent 5 hours learning to cast on and trying to knit with the book and YouTube. It sounds like she was doing some pretty interesting things, including somehow not slipping the stitch she'd just knit off the first needle to the second. I don't even know how that would be possible beyond a few stitches. Anyway, she bought her knitting in on Friday and we sat for over an hour, me knitting my sock and chiming in to help when she needed and her coming to terms with knit and then purl stitches. She picked it up so quickly and she was so proud, she even said to someone 'This has been the best hour of my life!' I managed to get someone from my old work to start coming along to Monday night Knitting Circle and Katherine is now keen so I'm slowing enlisting people in my travels. It's great!


On Friday night I had eight people plus me for dinner. I was slightly nervous because I've never cooked for that many people before (plus I slightly stupidly starting drinking at 3.30pm with one of the teams at work, so instead of leaving at 4pm-ish - everyone was going home early because it was a long weekend and we finish early on a Friday anyway - I left at 5pm and had to rush to the supermarket and come home and clean the bathroom before I even got to start cooking, all with the added bonus of being a bit lightheaded thanks to the two wines I'd had). Anyway it was very successful, everyone ate, drank and was merry. I made a giant bowl of pasta, vaguely following the recipe for this tomato and basil sauce with courgette and mushroom added in.

It felt a bit like Christmas day because we had to push two tables together to fit everyone and improvise some chairs, but it was a really fun time and I was quite proud of my efforts. Cleaning up the next day wasn't so much fun, mainly because after dinner we'd gone to someone's house and played Singstar and drunk a lot more and I was not so well the next morning. I had to take frequent little breaks whilst doing the dishes, vaccuuming, and putting the furniture back in its place. Needless to say, not a lot else was achieved yesterday but do I plan to finish the baby pinnafore buttonholes this weekend. I really do...

No comments:

Post a Comment