Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Inside Out and DPN Drama

So it turns out, I am knitting my hat inside out. Someone at knitting last night confirmed that usually when you knit a hat the outside is on the outside of the needles and the inside on the inside. But it doesn't matter because I can just turn it in the right way when it's finished (which is what I thought everyone must do with hats). I have no idea how I managed to do this.

I was SO close to finishing my hat last night and I was at Monday night knitting circle so had experts on hand to help me, except that I got to the last decrease and the pattern says "You can switch to double pointed needles for this round, although I managed to awkwardly knit this round with the 16" circular." Of course, I thought: if she could do it, so can I. But I can't. It's stretching the stitches too much and I'm only a quarter of the way round. I must knit tighter than she does. So it's off to Knit World in my next free lunchbreak to buy some double pointed needles and hopefully get one of the Knit World ladies to help me move the stitches onto them and show me how to knit with them.

The end is so neeeear! I just want to get there.

In the meantime, I shall begin my next project which has a strict time limit on it. It's my Mum's birthday on the 18th of February and as she thinks it's quite amusing that I have started knitting, I am going to knit her two dishcloths (all going to plan). Because really, knitted dishcloths? Why do these exist?!

I can't remember how I heard about knitted dishcloths but it was on some knitting site or blog somewhere in the last few months (I had definitely not heard of them before). I had no idea what they would be made out of because obviously, it wouldn't be wool. So I googled to find out what they are made of...turns out you can get 100% cotton yarn. Of course. I have so much to learn... Anyway, then I googled 100% cotton yarn and limited the search to NZ and found
Yarnz who sell the Peaches and Creme range. So I contacted Nanette who turns out to be lovely and who attends the knitting group at JOY of Yarn's Scarlet Oak Cottage in the Wairarapa. I know this because she works very near me so to save me paying postage she kindly brought the yarn into her work and I went and collected it yesterday at lunchtime.

Mum is going to be just delighted...



I'm excited to try knitting with self-striping (I think it's called variegated?) yarn. As a side note, I can't believe I am calling it 'yarn' because it has always seemed like such an American word to me but now that I know you can't just call all yarn 'wool' because it's not all wool, I've had to adopt it.

So the count down is on! 2 knitted dishcloths in less than two weeks (the postal system seems to be very slow from Wellington to Hurunui so I'd better post them the weekend before the 18th to be safe). Obviously, there will be regular progress updates.

Oh! And I showed my Practice Skirt to Ms. Pattern Drafter at work yesterday and she said I did a really good job for my first zip! I was meant to sew the interfacing pieces together before sewing them to the waistband but oh well, now I know for next time. I couldn't bring myself to tell her that I wasn't so happy with the fit but I have it in my head now that I can just take one of the simple bought skirts I already have, trace the outline, add a seam allowance and make a pattern myself...it sounds so easy. Surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment