Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stitches and seams

It seems birthday season has begun and as such I have been busily stitching cards.


This one took forever; luckily I had a lazy Sunday afternoon in which to do it. It looks like a 6 year old wrote the words because I wrote them back to front on the inside to hide the markings.


This one was a bit quicker and I think it's quite cute. Someone at work saw the card I made my Mum for Mother's Day as I was putting it in an envelope to post and said, 'Oh that's nice, we used to make those at Brownies when I was little.' It made me feel like I was in the remedial card making class...oh well! The present that went with the balloon card is also really cute but I will wait until the recipient opens it before I write about it here.

Last week I bought a little present for myself on payday because Knitsch was having a sale on some limited edition colourways and I couldn't go past Good Evening, Aviator.


I think I am going to try to knit a pair of socks when the show is over. I looked for sock patterns on Ravelry before I started the Baby Shrug but they all seemed a bit hard (and some of the ones that seemed really basic looked ugly). However, my Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's 'Never Not Knitting' page-per-day calendar had some wise words the other day that I need to remember when I start looking for a sock pattern again:

Sometimes I hear knitters say they are 'afraid' to try things with knitting, and I just don't get it. What's the worst thing that could happen if you fail? The yarn will rise up against you, resulting in injury or death? Other knitters (who never make mistakes) will find out and kick you out of the club? (Hint: All knitters make mistakes.) Be not afraid. It's only knitting. Be fearless.

I wish I could muster the same gung-ho attitude for seaming the Baby Shrug; I tried doing it this way again at Monday night Knitting Circle last night but again I wasn't happy with the results and ended up pulling it apart and continuing with a leaf for 'It's a Tree!'. A lovely Lynne from Marton emailed me some photos showing how she does seams so I will have to give her method a try. Failing that, I think a visit to my Nana or my two great aunts for some help will be necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment