Friday, March 12, 2010

Many and various

Last night while watching Project Runway I finished my 3rd dishcloth, knitted on smaller needles than my previous two and longer because I just wanted to finish the yarn. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it now. I might just keep it for a rainy day.

It was good having TV knitting - knitting I didn't have to concentrate too hard on so could do while watching TV. Unlike the Baby Shrug. Grrr. Although, this did mean that I had to unpick three rows and knit them again before I could cast off because I was like, 'Ooo, time to cast off! Oh, I forgot to do three rows of garter stitch to finish the border.' But that didn't take too long. Worryingly though, my hands/fingers got really sore towards the end. By the time I finished casting off I was convinced I had arthritis/RSI. I think it's more that I don't usually knit so quickly and constantly for 2 hours in a row (even though Project Runway ended I HAD to stay up and finish the dishcloth I was so close). I must remember to take breaks and stretch my fingers if I'm knitting like that again.

A couple of weekends ago when I was in the Wairarapa for the day my Nana gave me these awesome little scissors she said she has had for years and never uses so thought I might like them.
I love how they're a bird! I don't know anything about birds so I'm not sure what kind of bird they're supposed to be. Maybe a heron? The scissors are really sharp and small and came in a blue velvet case so they are perfect for putting in my knitting bag and carrying around. Thanks Nana!

In the photo they are sitting on a piece of fabric from my ever growing collection of off-cuts on sale in Arthur Toye Fabrics. I can't help it, some days I'm just like, 'Hmmm, seeing as I'm walking past I must just pop into Arthur Toye and see what's in the off-cuts basket'. And then of course I often see something I like and think, 'Well, for only $2/$3/$4/$5 (depending on how rich I'm feeling), how can I not?'. In the back of my mind I think I'm secretly collecting these pieces up for my long desired quilt project. The majority of the pieces so far have been of a similar old-fashioned floral theme. Oh quilt, when will I get brave and make you?

Nana really loved the birthday card I made her. She rang me first thing on Wednesday morning and I said, 'Hey! I'm supposed to ring you! I was just about to!' and she said, 'Well I just opened my parcel and I wanted to say thank you, what a beautiful card, very clever.' So that was an extremely nice warm fuzzies moment. She is down staying with my Mum this week and today they are off to the Ellerslie Flower Show in Christchurch. I think it would be quite a cool event to go even just once, some of the exhibits look amazing.

Speaking of amazing (flawless linking), I am LOVING following Revolt of the Mannequins. Every day I have gone for a walk to see each window and today I am perturbed by the disappearance of the sniper. The detective almost had him in the window of Whitcoulls yesterday but now the detective is in Zambesi and the sniper is nowhere to be found. My favourite, the lovers ( in the window of Stax on Willis Street) has taken a bit of a scary turn that I'm not so happy about. Can't wait to come into town especially to see them tomorrow. I've been trying to take photos but it's hard with the glass in front of them and really, you have to see them up close and experience the changing story to really appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment