Monday, March 1, 2010

A few more rows and a wee find

The baby shrug had a bit more progress made on it on the train from the Wairarapa to Wellington on Saturday evening (I made a very flying visit, over late on Friday night and back in time to see Guy's last show on Saturday night, but it was nice to hang out with Hunter for a few hours on Saturday and make another batch of cupcakes...):

(without the aid of a hand model it looks like this)

Voila!
(Hand model: Guy Langford - because my hands are too pink and stubby)

Not a lot because I got sleepy after a few rows and slept until Upper Hutt. But a fire on the tracks between Waterloo and Petone delayed us and I got more done while sitting waiting for the train to move. The lovely train guard who was keeping us updated said to me, 'Aren't we nice? We stopped the train so you could finish your knitting' as he walked past. I dutifully chuckled and replied, 'Yes I thought so, thank you'. I could have said, 'HA! We'd have to sit here for about three days straight and call in knitting interpreters before there was any hope of me finishing this stupid thing'.

Stupid thing? Okay maybe a bit harsh but honestly: 'Long circular and straight needles'? I get that there are two lengths of straight needles and Anita loaned me a pair of long 4mm ones. But 'long circular' needles? According to Ravelry there are NINE different lengths of circulars and on the Yarn Queen website there are three. Surely I don't need a pair of 80cm length circular needles for a BABY shrug. How long is long? Is it longer than the shortest or is it the absolute longest? Come on Miss Bliss, give me a break here.

Also, I am nearly at the part where it says:

'Change to 5mm circular needle.
Shape sleeves
Cast on 5 sts at beg of next 8 rows. 88 sts Work a further 18 rows.
Divide for fronts'

Now, to my logical mind it does not say 'join for working in the round' anywhere. So in a logical Cherie world, I wouldn't join it for working in the round. BUT, I'm suspicious of this knitting gobbledygook and I feel like maybe in the logical KNITTING world it would follow that if you have to change to circular needles, you know you have to join for working in the round, so there's no need to spell it out.

SO confused. Also, I have no idea HOW I would join it for working in the round because the way I did it for my hat was to begin a row using the tail and the working yarn for a few stitches. But now the tail is a whole 21 rows away at the bottom. My guess is it is not worked in the round and you use circular needles because they make it easier to have stitches dangling off the bottom on a spare needle than straight ones do. But who knows.

I am off to Monday night knitting circle tonight so hopefully someone can help me. And if not, I have emailed someone on Ravelry who just finished this pattern the other day and asked these questions (not in such a rambling, whining way of course). I hope they don't mind a random person from New Zealand emailing them all the way over in Indiana asking them knitting questions. I wouldn't mind if that happened to me - if the situation was reversed I'd be all excited and look up exactly where Indiana actually is, but you never know.

In other news, I went and looked around a few second hand shops in Carterton and Masterton during my brief visit on Saturday (I'm looking for a tall, narrow, real wooden bookcase) and had to buy this because of the title:

And because it is such a perfect representation of the stories the women in our show would have grown up with and of the genre that Enid Blyton was working in with her short stories and The Wishing Chair and The Faraway Tree books.

There's an inscription in the front page of the book, 'To Carol, Wishing her a happy fifth birthday, love from Sandra'.

The shop I bought the book from had a whole eclectic mix of things (a lot of them quite overpriced) including this:

I can't find a picture of an original or a restored one of these, not with the handle thing in the front or frame bit on the top like this one so I wonder what it looked like in all its glory.

Lots of pictures of ones like this though, although not surrounded by old bath claws.

I love old stuff. Except dolls, but that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment