Sunday, March 7, 2010

Rosettes, Mannequins, and Banana Muffins


So the card turned out quite well. It took me a lot of last night to make the rosette because I've never made one before and just figured it out for myself through trial and error (I can do things without the help of the internet!). It's not perfect but I'm very happy with it.

Sadly no knitting has happened this weekend and is unlikely to until Monday night Knitting Circle tomorrow. That's because after finishing the card I met Guy in town and we walked around looking at the first day of this very cool NZ International Arts Festival event, Revolt of the Mannequins. French street theatre company Royal De Luxe has put mannequins in 10 shop windows around Wellington and each day the mannequins are moved, less noticeably at first and then more and more obviously. A story unfolds in each window (the stories are unrelated) and the mannequins are pretty lifelike and often freaky looking. Royal De Luxe has done some really amazing work with giant puppets operated by cranes - see this YouTube video of The Little Girl Giant as an example.

This morning I made muffins bright and early as had a friend coming for lunch. My favourite tried and true Best Ever Banana Muffins. They honestly are so quick to make and always taste good.


Best Ever Banana Muffins

3 large ripe bananas
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups four
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

(can add chocolate chips if you want)

Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius. I'm all for the fan bake setting.

Mash bananas in a bowl (I use a potato masher, much quicker than a fork), whisk the egg in a cup and add to bananas. Add sugar and melted butter. Mix with a wooden spoon (not sure what difference this makes but the recipe specifies it).

Sift in flour, baking soda, and baking powder (if you want to add chocolate chips add them now - about half a cup or more depending on how chocolate-y you want them). Mix quickly.

Bake for 15-20 minutes in greased muffin tins. Makes 12 muffins.

So quick and so good.

And now I'm off to rehearsal and then the Fringe Awards this evening. If only I could knit at social events without being considered antisocial or weird. I wanted to knit during a show the other night but Guy expressly forbid it, he said it would be so off-putting if he was in a show and looked out into the audience and saw someone knitting. A poll of one other person found that this view was seconded. Fine. When Tea for Toot is on I am going to INVITE people to knit if they want to, I won't be offended.

1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

    I have a blog also obviously and would like to invite you to become my blog friend.

    I mostly post about the Southern California experience through the perspective of my art.

    Maybe you can become my pal, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon... :)

    ReplyDelete